NOW SHOWING - 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge

Check back often to see what's on the easel today!

Friday, January 9, 2015

Day 9 in the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge

Tonight's painting is a subject I dearly love - dragonflies.  I remember growing up seeing lots and lots of dragonflies in south Louisiana.  When I'd go to my grandmother's house, I remember them lined up on her clotheslines - dozens of them - in all sizes and colors.  They were so beautiful.  We would chase them and watch them fly and also let them climb onto the tip of an index finger.  Awesome experience for a kid.

Unfortunately, we don't see as many as we used to, especially in Colorado.  I really miss them.  I'm afraid they've been affected by the widespread use of pesticides just like our honey bees.

I recently did a large batik of a turquoise dragonfly on a stalk of a plant next to a yellow poppy.  I also made a 4 panel stained glass lamp with a dragonfly on each panel.

Here is tonight's painting.  It's on the Ampersand Aquabord and is 6" x 6" square.   It's a bit hard to see in the photo, but the wings and parts of the body are iridescent. 

Hope you enjoy this one as much as I enjoyed painting it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment